Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Moving South


The view from my $8.50 a night room.

The bus trip down to Banos was uneventful and that is generally how I like my bus trips in Latin America. The way bus drivers maneuver those huge rolling bricks always amazes me. It’s a quirk of nature that the death toll for bus accidents isn’t off the chart but somehow, most of the time the bus and passengers arrive unscathed.

Banos is about 1/3 of the way south of the Ecuador and Columbian border. So far, my little short glimpse of Banos isn’t all that favorable at least for my purposes. It strikes me here as a party town, lots of foreigners looking to get sloshed (yes, I mean drink and get looped) and then run rapids on one of the nearby rivers and bike or hike up one of the many surrounding mountains. Nothing wrong with those activities but I don’t much care for the riffraff that is attracted to that stuff. Do I sound like an old grumpy conger or what? Sheese, my kids may be right… I AM an old fart.

Anyway, speaking of riffraff there is a hot springs in town and that may explain the many massage facilities that are evident on some of the streets. I think they are legitimate massage places but I will never know for sure. I have this thing about people touching me. A handshake is about the limit of my comfort zone so there is no chance of me getting a message but I just might try out the hot springs.

I am supposed to contact a guy about some property he has for sale here but then again I may pass on that too. It’s hard to get to Banos. The bus trip was a 4 hour ride and they don’t have an airport for commercial aircraft. I did meet a nice couple from the States they found a place to rent here. They were excited that it only cost them 150 per month which aint too bad, especially since it overlooks a river.

Perhaps I am just tired and I will fall in love with it here tomorrow, it really is beautiful here. We will see but whatever happens, happens.


The view from the back of the building I'm staying at in Banos.

No comments:

Post a Comment