Thursday, August 20, 2009

I have straddled the equator! (And I liked it.)


Met a great family from London and overheard them talking about a little trip to the center of the world they were planning on taking. Being the shy type I naturally kind of invited myself and tagged along.


For 12 bucks you can’t beat this type of outing. If that is all I would have spent that would have been great but of course I had to buy a new finely crafted wool shoulder bag. The Indian lady who sold me the bag was a master negotiator.
She started out at $12 dollars but that was just a ploy, she wanted $10 and she knew I would pay it. She toyed with me allowing me to think I could come out on top of this deal but my feeble attempts to get her down proved futile. Her confident expression and unyielding manner made me cave in early on. But now I can ditch my militaristic looking gringo bag and hopefully attract less attention of would be bad guys- but I digress.


First stop on the 12 buck tour was the outlook for the Pululaua valley. This just happens to be the largest volcano crater containing no water in South America and maybe the world. Very pretty, hopefully the picture will load and you can judge for yourself.


Then we stopped at a “museum” that explained many of the mysteries of life. For instance maybe you saw my videos in another post showing how water spins counter clockwise and or clock wise depending on which side of the equator you are on. Not only that but water won’t spin at all when you are standing directly on the equator. And by spin I mean like when you flush the toilet and the water spins, got it?


Not only did we learn about the Coriolis effect (the water spinning stuff) but also why certain Indian tribes go pretty much buck necked and tie there privy member up to keep it secure. They had a life sized anatomically correct statue for illustration purposes. That’s something a guy just won’t forget any time soon and that’s all I want say about that.

As if that wasn’t enough we also saw a real shrunken head and even learned how to shrink the heads of anyone we vanquish, if of course, the need arises.


Oh, least I forget our last stop of the day was the French made Center of the World Monument. Why did the French make it? I missed that part but it seems the French thought they would make a huge monument to exactly mark where the equator ran through. The only problem was they were off a few miles… but it’s the thought that counts right? Leave it to the French to mess up something like that up. Viva La Fenchies!

I don’t want to put too sharp a point on the whole fiasco but not too far from that monument is the ruins of a pre-Inca culture that made their own monument and they were only off less than 100 feet! (According to Google Earth)


What a day it was, I made new friends, learned some “stuff” and straddled the Equator all on a 12 dollar tour, what a deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment