Sunday, August 9, 2009

So, why Ecuador?




Are you kidding me? Do you really have to ask?


OK, here is some of my reasoning.


---In no particular order---


It is a Banana Republic, in the truest sense. They used to export more Bananas than any Country, a great thing if you like bananas. Why else do I consider that a good thing? Well lets just say you can still get out of a traffic ticket with Mr. Jefferson's help. I believe its called mordita, payola or if you are somewhat uncultured, a bribe. I got out of a traffic infraction one time for a bottle of ice cold Coca-Cola. Truly a win-win for all parties involved.


The Government is reasonably stable. They lean pretty left for my taste but with what is going on here I dont think its a big issue.


The geography is very...varied. You have your Pacific Cost and your cool, as in cold, Andes mountains. All climes can be found in between. Me, I think I prefer a little bit of altitude, less bugs and less riffraff or so Im told.


The people. Not only are the people friendly they even like gringos. They probably still like gringos because they havent had a chance to really get to know them but for the most part they like foringers.


Proximity to the USA. Close but yet far enough. This will come in handy the Mrs. wants to hug grand kids. Don’t get me wrong, I like to hug grandkids

but a simple photograph goes along ways to reduce the hugging urge with me.


In and of itself, Ecuador has many great places to explore but think about a whole South American Continent to explore, right in my own back yard!


Opportunity to serve others. This is really important to my wife and me. I understand there are plenty of service opportunities here but... Oh, I will just leave it at that.

Land is still very affordable. Really. Not only can you afford a chunk but chances are it will be drop dead gorgeous. The dream is to grow avocados, ginny pigs (yes, they eat ginny pigs) and tomatoes, a gentleman farmer of sorts.




I could go on and on but this will have to suffice for now. Besides, I gotta start thinking about packing my stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment