Wednesday, August 19, 2009

In Country


Arriving in a foreign country always carries a little of apprehension for me. Did I fill the visa forms out properly? Did I bring the correct papers, do I look like a smuggler or some undesirable and will suffer extra scrutiny from the immigration officials?

It didn’t help that the good folks at Continental Airlines put the bug in my ear about my passport being messed up. When I got to Houston I was told to ask for a supervisor and have them inspect my passport. I even had an appointment with the passport office in Houston to get a new one if necessary.
Mr. Brooks looked at my ratty PP and said “you know they have zip lock bags you can keep these in”. Thanks, for the lecture but can I fly with this one or do I need a new one? “It looks good enough to me and I will add to your file that I gave approval”. “Oh, by the way, this doesn’t mean that the officials in Ecuador will accept it, have good day” Nothing happens and I breezed right on in to Quito.

I’m staying at a Hostel that costs $20 bucks a night. When I arrived at the Travelers Inn at 11:30pm Diego was waiting for me. He took me directly to my private room and asked if I need anything else. “Nope, not a thing, see you in the morning”. I was tired and didn’t waste any time spreading my silk sheet out on top of the bedding and passing out. It must have been 2 o’clock or so and I woke up freezing. It was time to get over my weirdness of letting hotel bedding touch me and I piled on the covers.

Sleeping in until 8:30 was a great treat but time is a’wasting; only have a month here and I got ground to cover. Shower then out the door. Diego was good enough to give me a city map and pointed out some interesting places to see and I was on my way. I felt slightly dizzy walking down the streets. Some of you may think that me being dizzy is not all that unusual and I can’t disagree but this was different.

Turns out Quito elevation is around 8000 feet or so I’m told. If true, it would explain my being out of breath and dizziness. If it’s not true then I am stroking out or something. I think it’s the altitude.

After my mid morning hour nap I was more coherent and made a plan. I wanted to see the Plaza Grande and the Basilica, two touristy things to do for sure. It was time to travel like a local also. The map says they have a trolley and it goes right past my intended targets (more or less).

On my way to the trolley I spy a sign that got me excited. “Trout Pro Shop” Hot Dog! Could it be possible I could wet a hood on this trip? Entering the store I somehow, in spite of my miserable Spanish skills I sealed the deal; I had a pack rod and reel, 3 spinners and a map to trout streams and lakes supposedly full of fatties (I’m talking fish here), all of this for under $22 dollars. A two hour bus ride and I can release my inner “EL PESQUADOR” (The fisherman, for you none Spanish speakers). Did I mention this fishing area is in very close proximity to hot springs?
The trolley trip was short due to some bonehead trying to get into my back vest pocket. I noticed him looking at me and my bag while waiting to get on the trolley and when I jammed on he followed me on and positioned himself behind me. He wasn’t a very good pickpocket because I felt him tugging on the zipper. I just turned around knocking his hand away and got off at the next station. Taking a taxi is safer and that is what I did.

Just got through talking to a guy who was robbed at gun point, he was walking to the hostel at about 8:00pm and got jacked. So much for carrying my mono pod around thinking I could beat a robber with a knife. Apparently they look for foreigners with back packs or bags assuming they have a lap top and a camera. The lessons to learn here is don’t walk at night and if you are out and about take a taxi.

Anyway this is my first post while in Country. Time to move along and get down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment